Saturday, May 16, 2009

Disciplines of A Godly Woman- Part I

My last blog entry (good gracious, a month ago!!!) told about how my oldest daughter, 8 year old Muffin, made a decision to accept Jesus Christ as her Savior. In that decision are a whole lot of details that can be overwhelming to a new believer. Without discipleship, a new believer can not mature or develop in the fullness of Christ. As her mom, it's my responsibility (along with her dad) to make sure that she understands that this commitment is only the beginning of something, not the end. I also wanted her to know that this decision is huge, one that will affect the direction of the rest of her life. With those things in mind, I planned an overnight for us to talk about the "Disciplines of a Godly Woman".

Step 1 - Plan a place to go. I looked online for a cheap local hotel. My girl is in heaven if she can swim in a pool so that's what we were going to do. The cheapest nights are weeknights so that meant (GULP!) missing a day of school. As a former teacher, this is a BIG deal for me. Here's my philosophy: I really don't like to send my child mixed messages. I want them to know that if I say something, they can bank on it. I try really hard not to make promises I can't keep (or threats!). So, I have a hard time sending a message that school is not important when it is inconvenient or I need something but it is important every other day. Yes, we do miss school, but it is a BIG STINKING DEAL when we do. I digress...

Step 2- Check with teacher to see if there is anything happening that can't be made up or done in advance on the day we are going to miss. Another blessing of attending a Christian school: I just flat out told the teacher and the attendance officer what we were doing and both were very supportive.

Step 3 - What are the disciplines of a Godly Woman? I narrowed it down to 5: Bible Study, Tithes & Offerings, Prayer, Worship & Fellowship. I want to make sure that she understands each one and knows how to practice them. I bought a 3 ring binder that is about 9"x6" so that our sermon notes (that come on a half sheet of paper) can be stored in it. Then with Andy's help, we developed a little lesson for each subject and thought of a physical reminder for each one and put them in the book. Then I gave her an invitation that looked like this:



So, here is how it went down...
Thursday after school, Andy and Muffin had dentist appointments so I met them at the dentist at 4:15 and we traded kids. Muffin and I had appointments to get our nails painted at 5:00 so we stalled until 4:50. When we got there, the lady told us that she was behind some so we walked down to the Christian book store to kill some more time.

Let me just say upfront that I do not make a very good girl. I have no real decorating talents (just look at the interior of my house). When I am a hostess, I love to focus on the food and activity, I have no desire nor any giftings in centerpieces, name cards, invitations, etc. And the last time I had my fingernails professionally done was for my wedding (12 years ago!). But this was the best $5 (each) I think I ever spent. I got a french manicure, Muffin got hers painted and airbrushed with stars, and we got to witness to the lady who did our nails. This was one of the neatest things that happened so I'll wrap up this post with the story...

A lady in the salon was getting her hair done as we were waiting to get our nails done and getting them done. At one point, the nail tech asked what why we were on our little outing. Muffin told her, "I got saved". When the tech didn't say anything, I said, "Why don't you tell her what that means?" And she did. The tech still didn't say anything but the woman getting her hair done heard her and stopped over to us and said, "Did you get saved honey? That is so wonderful. I knew there was something different about the two of you when you walked in here but I didn't know what it was. Now I know!" Oh thank you Lord for a confirmation of one of my favorite verses right now,

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

I just love that God can make His word so real for us. As I struggled to adequately prepare the lessons we were about to embark on, He taught us one just as important. Thanks be to God!

No comments: